CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Another Day, Another School and Hours of Fun

My adventures in Zurich continued today (as if I was expecting them to suddenly come to an end) and my day began well before any sane human’s should. That, combined with the night before ending later than planned, made my day stretch out a little longer than I’d normally like. My feet are also still angry with me, however I think they’re starting to accept the fact that they may never rest again. I think what helps the situation is how I constantly point out to them all the other women wearing obviously painful heels and trotting about the city just the same as I am; while I have been considerate enough to wear nothing but crocs (the cute small ones, not the mammoth ones). So the feet are beginning to see and appreciate the compromises I make for them.

Bubu spent a few hours at a new school today. This one is a German/English Montessori just a few walkable blocks uphill from our corporate apartment. I really hope she chooses this one because I’m completely biased towards the Montessori system of schooling. I wholeheartedly believe it will bring out the genius in her. She already has the smarty pants genes so all that’s left is a little encouragement and space for self expression.

By Egyptian standards we arrived an hour and a half early this morning but by Swiss standards we were a couple of weeks late. I was too afraid to check in at the main office because the director of the school plays Hitler to a T. Frankly, he scares me even though I’m not Jewish. Especially with Soly being circumcised and all... I mean, what if Hitler’s clone checked Soly’s pants and saw? Heck no, I want to live! There’s so much more chocolate that needs swimming in. So I went straight to Bubu's classroom where once again she switched on her sirens and water works until something interesting caught her eye and I was, once again, dismissed at the drop of a dime. No wave... she didn’t even look over her shoulder at my pathetic soul.

After that I made my way straight home because 1.) my bladder was seriously threatening to humiliate me in public and 2.) Soly's tiny, chubby and deliciously round fingers were frozen solid and his button of a nose was bright red. When we got home he slept and I worked. I looked for apartments and a job for hours like I do every day with no avail. I deleted a few rejection emails from companies that I was certain would call me for an interview. Why do companies do that? If you’re reading this (you know who you are) I would much rather not hear back from you than get a phony rejection email bullshitting me about how great I am and how it’s “not you. It’s me”. A piece of my confidence died today and I’m convinced I will never find work again and will be forced to make a living washing dirty dishes at the Asian restaurant three blocks from our apartment that makes the best Pad Thai I’ve ever had. I was there picking up food last night and a tiny Indian woman came out of the kitchen in a hairnet and picked up all the dirty pots from the table next to the chef. I looked at her, squeezed my lips together and nodded—I know how she feels. She came to a new country without speaking a word of German and had no choice but to work a job that requires her to wear a hair net (yikes!). And then I got even more depressed when I realized she’s probably got a work permit. I don’t even have a work permit! Yeah... I’m pretty much screwed. And screwed is a much prettier word than I’d like to use here but I’m working on controlling my tourettes. Oh, and my dad’s reading this. :-)

I turned off the computer and decided to cheer myself up by making the most of the rest of day. I wasn’t going to work or think about anything except enjoying the children. I haven’t been as attentive to them as I like to be ever since I died and went to chocolate heaven. We’ve only been out playing twice over the past two weeks: once at the lake and another time at a beautiful park a few blocks away from here. After I picked up Bubu from school I took them both out to a coffee shop for some hot chocolate to warm their bellies before our day of fun. It so happened that the place makes a fantastic Machiatto and honestly it’s a complete coincidence that the waiter has my drink memorized and had the cup ready for me before I even opened my mouth. So I’ve been there a few times before, so what? I was only there for the kids this time... really. This was actually Soly's first cup of hot chocolate and he loved it.

The 20 minutes we spent playing at the coffee shop renewed my energy. Or it might have been the double shot of caffeine that was pumped into my system but whatever it was made me happy. I skipped down the street pushing the stroller and begging Bubu to skip with me so I wouldn’t look psychotic but she rolled her eyes at me. Damn, little girls mature fast! I must’ve missed the years in which maturity happens to people.

I spent the rest of the day going outright nuts with the kids. We spent hours chasing each other around the apartment (Soly included), laughing, screaming, joking, singing, dancing, hugging, rolling around, sniffing toes and just all out bonding. It was amazing and rewarding and I sincerely enjoyed myself and my children. Even little Soly was laughing with us all day which is great because he rarely gets to be involved in our games. I love my boy! An additional monstrous benefit was that they both ate well and slept well...

Another wonderful day in Zurich passed and my relationship with my babies renewed.

2 comments:

HR said...

What's this codswallop about a 3 year old having a choice?

And did she really roll her eyes? How adorable!

Euro Mama said...

What the heck is a cosdwallop? Is that like a spleen?

And you will soon learn that even 1 yr olds have a choice. In fact, they not only have a choice but somewhere along the line you cease to have a choice and only their choices become valid.

And she rolls her eyes now - yes. But she doesn't so it with attitude. She's cute about it and doesn't really know what it means. Dude, she's freaking adorable!